Managing water consumption is good for the environment, saves the condominium money and may save you from expensive water damage.
You should know that bathrooms generally account for more than half the water used indoors so that’s a good place to start. Here are some tips for good water management at home.
- Consider installing low- or dual-flush toilets, low-flow showerheads and faucets with faucet aerators.
- Now may be a good time to change a few personal habits. When washing, brushing your teeth or shaving, try to avoid letting the tap run continuously. Fill a glass with water to rinse your mouth when brushing your teeth. Rinse your razor by filling the bottom of the sink with a few centimetres of water.
- Wondering if you have a slow leak in your toilet? Put a few drops of food colour into the tank, then wait to see if the bowl water changes colour. A plumber will be able to remedy the leak.
- Our municipal water system is not a dump. Do not throw garbage, dental floss or medicine into the toilet.
- Avoid toxic chemicals when cleaning the bathroom – choose biodegradable and environmentally-friendly products.
Small changes can make a big difference over time.